Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Goodbye speech

I wrote the following to give at our farewell luncheon two days from now. Had to get it done before they wrapped up my computer for shipping...

"I write these words surrounded by boxes, paper, muddy floors, the sound of tape being laid and the smell of cardboard. Bill and I are exhausted beyond belief and still not finished. My home office is the only safe zone left, door is closed and movers ordered not to enter until the very end.

The end is near, so I must gather my thoughts about how to say goodbye to you, my many friends and coworkers. Both of us have procrastinated about something hard to do the last few weeks. These words are my “hard to do.”

Nearly 18 years ago I came to Europe saying “three years and I’m outta there.”

Obviously, I failed in that pledge.

I am the family wanderer. The one that goes out on the edge, according to my younger sister. I have always gone places and done things no one else did because I always tend to find the wonder in things and places and, even now, maintain an interest and curiosity.

My 18 years in Europe have been so very interesting. I have travelled to places I never thought I'd see. I have ridden a camel in Cairo, driven a jeep over frighteningly high, rail-free bridges in Croatia, danced in Turkey, stood on the edge of a volcano in Italy, eaten roasted chestnuts in London and pigeon in Egypt, spent the night in a thatched cottage on a stormy Aran island. I have been in every DeCA Europe country except Saudi.

They have been curious…just this week I found a dead bat in the guest room of my house, a curiosity I could have done without!

They have been hazardous to my health. Broke my left wrist first at Germersheim some years ago and again in Livorno just last June. Did my first-ever emergency hospital stay in August from the car accident I shared with Bill and Gerlinde.

The years have been mostly wonderful.

Wonderful was doing thousands of miles on the road with John Hoca, Arno Franke and Earl Taylor who became my dearly beloved brothers, far beyond the state of co-workers. Wonderful was getting to know Gerlinde and treasuring her friendship forever. We will spend our last few days in Germany in her company.

Wonderful was making friends from so many countries as I went around on official travel and opened more new stores than I care to remember. As silly as I sometimes think it is, it is nice to know I have Mohamed Enein as a friend on Facebook so we don’t lose touch.

Wonderful was working with and for Mike Dowling, as fine a boss and friend as I could have asked for.

Wonderful is having too many people to say thanks to for making me welcome and at home in this country. It has been a privilege to work and live here and I will cherish it forever. DeCA people are amazing. They are dedicated, energetic, and caring always.

Wonderful is having met William Pulley. A more patient, kind, caring, supportive and loving man I could not have wished for. I hope he will be by my side for a long time and I intend to be a real nag about him kicking the cigarette habit as soon as this stressful transition is over in order to ensure his long life.

Not so wonderful has been an extreme workload loaded with stress. That, coupled with the accidents in 2009, joined forces to make me finally say genug, enough, I am finished. With that I will give you one word of wisdom based on my life.

Work hard, take pride in what you do, always help others, but do not forget to help yourself. Do not sacrifice more of your personal life than is prudent or healthy. If you do, you may end up with bats in your bedroom and a garage full of trash.

Thank you, vielen danke, alles gute, auf wiedersehen.

No comments:

Post a Comment