Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Ada

Ada is 89 years old. We met at the hairstylist's and she invited me to visit her.  Yesterday, I finally made it to her pink stone house near the campus of Virginia Tech.  A native of Italy, she married American and has spent most of her life in the states.  She is amazingly sharp, full of talk and confidence.  Only five minutes of the hour visit was spent telling me about her health, most of which is good.  Her home was neat and full of wonderful things with wonderful stories attached to them.  She showed me all around and then got up on a little stool to find a teabag so she could make me tea.  Then she told me how to cook tilapia and explained her new phone contract to me that enables her to call her friends in Europe.  She has a standing appointment to get her hair done every Friday and several months ago when I had my first appointment there, she heard that I had arrived from Germany and came over to say hello.  I was surprized to find she had been to my German town and knew all about several other towns around there.  By the end of our meeting, she had invited me to visit and I promised I would.  I should have gone sooner.  Spending that hour with her yesterday was a pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment