Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

How I spent this cold, snowy day

Unwilling to walk outside on ice-covered snow, I used a photo taken yesterday by Bill and painted a watercolor of our house while watching the sun paint shadows on the snow outside my studio window.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, my German friend Silke took photos of our snow-covered little village of Queidersbach and the house I used to live in there. She posted them on Facebook along with a video of her dog playing in the snow and her voice cheering him on. 

All that combined to bring tears for the first time since I moved. I had been missing Germany all this month so Silke's thoughtful gesture was all I needed to push me over the edge.  She will visit me next year, bringing her lovely daughter, Tasha with her. Of all the memories I have of Germany, they are among the best. She was always there when I needed her.

1 comment:

  1. What a winter wonderland! I certainly appreciate your having a sentimental mood...no matter how good things are where you are, there's always the good time somewhere else where you're not. It's the frustration of human form: time and space limitations.

    ReplyDelete