Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

How much wax is too much?

I pour over art books looking for inspiration, ideas and new techniques. A pile of books holds a permanent position beside my bed and, even though I've seen every page a dozen times, I still keep looking at them until I find a new book to absorb. Sometimes a piece of art sticks in my head and keeps me awake for hours as I plan my own version .

This 18" x 24" painting is one of those. Took me a long time to decide on a name to replace the boring set of letters and numbers assigned by my camera. Last night she became Shadow Woman. The process goes way beyond just normal watercolor, my preferred medium, and involves rice paper, ink, watercolor and lots of wax. It involves giving up control (hard for me) and seeing what happens. It involves a bunch of guessing as I experiment my way through the process.

How much wax is too much?  Two coats. Two hours, scrape, crunch, scrape, crunch, iron, iron, iron.  At last I decide she is beautiful and mysterious and translucent. Held to a sunlit window, she looks like stained glass and smells like honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment