Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

'Round the clock art

Two pieces I created during art class.

This past weekend was a bit of an art marathon. First I made a trip to Floyd for the fun of having lunch with friends, picking up a piece of jewelry being adjusted, and stopping by my favorite art center.  An unexpected benefit came about with the lovely Carly Burke, owner and designer of Mountain Light Jewelry. She and a furniture maker have joined forces to open a wonderful new gallery shop in The Station on the main street and in minutes our conversation came around to the possibility of my artwork being carried in her inventory.  How exciting for us both!

On Saturday and Sunday I took part in a watercolor workshop put on by the Blacksburg Regional Art Association and taught by local artist Carole Davis. At the end of the workshop, I stayed on for an art lecture on decorative arts in Virginia and Tennessee, then went to dinner and by 6 p.m. was in the live model drawing group at Mish Mish, Blacksburg's very nice art supply store. For two hours I sketched the figure of the extremely professional model and by the end of class wondered if my own figure would be able to move well enough to go home.  Exhausted from three such busy days, I expected to be sound asleep minutes after arriving home.

As has become my habit, I picked up an art book from beside my bed and read about watercolor batik over and over, imaging one of my sketches rendered in this manner. Hours later, covers pulled up, lights out, eyes closed, I was still painting in my head.

My art weekend finally ended around 3:30 in the morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment